09 August 2017
Application deadline: 08 September 2017
Principal European Economist
Visa Inc, the world’s leading global payments technology company, seeks to appoint a Principal European Economist. Reporting to the Global Chief Economist, s/he will lead the Visa Business and Economic Insights (BEI) team in Europe as the region’s senior-most expert and thought leader in business economics. The Principal European Economist will serve as a brand ambassador for Visa in Europe, engaging with Visa’s clients and stakeholders at the highest levels. S/he will bring a deep understanding of European economic trends, proven analytical rigor, and expertise in econometric modelling, forecasting and big data analytics. S/he will be an adroit communicator and storyteller, promoting Visa’s leadership in the payments industry, generating and delivering high-impact insights to clients’ executive management, senior government officials and Visa’s regional and global leadership.
- Develop vision and strategy based on a deep understanding of European economic and market trends to deliver actionable business and economic insights to key regional stakeholders.
- Establish credibility as a thought leader in the consumer economics and payments industry by leveraging multi-media client and public outreach efforts to promote Visa’s brand and business.
- Contribute intellectual leadership to the company’s strategic direction by providing consumer, demographic and payment industry changes in the European business environment.
- Translate complex macroeconomic and industry trends into accessible and compelling narratives.
- Manage cross-functional resources to build a close working partnership with other internal stakeholders in each market and region.
- Define optimal team structure, recruit high-calibre staff and build a team that provides economic expertise that meaningfully adds value to clients and the company.
- Support Visa’s Chief Economist in business planning and strategy development to realise Visa’s global business goals.
- Develop and maintain relationships with industry vendors and partners as appropriate.
- Support Visa’s European Leadership Team (ELT) with insightful trends and analysis to contribute to Visa’s business and client relationship strategy
The Principal European Economist will report to the Global Chief Economist, Wayne Best (based in San Francisco), and will work closely with the European leadership team, including the Visa Europe CEO, Bill Sheedy.
This role will be based in London, UK, and will require frequent travel throughout the European region.
Essential Qualifications & Experience
- An advanced graduate degree in economics or business administration is preferred; relevant experience in lieu of an advanced degree will be considered.
- 15+ years of experience in financial services or economic consulting is required.
- Experience of working in a large multi-national corporate would be advantageous.
- Experience of working in fast-changing, cross-sector environments would be attractive.
- Proven ability to synthesize economic and financial data from private and government sources to develop new insights into the payments industry, addressing specifically European countries.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral. Demonstrated skills in story-telling with a proven ability to distill complex analyses into easily digestible messages for an array of senior audiences.
- Executive presence and a commercial mindset are essential.
- Fluency in a regional language, such as French, German, Italian, Spanish, or Polish, would be advantageous.
Visa Inc has retained Russell Reynolds Associates to assist with this appointment. For further information on the position and additional details on qualifications, requirements, and how to apply, please visit: www.rraresponses.com
The closing date for applications is 8 September 2017.